Access, Visitors and Contractors

Access is arranged depending on the location and the type of work to be carried out. The school has research labs and workshops which have stricter access control than low-risk spaces such as offices and computer-laboratories.


Staff, students, visiting workers and contractors are given access to work in an office and/or computer laboratory once they join the school and have completed HS006 Health and Safety Induction.

Students attending undergraduate lab classes do not need to complete an induction as they will be supervised at all times by a competent person.


All Staff and Students (from Honours Thesis and above) who plan to work in the School Laboratories need to follow this Laboratory Induction Procedure before accessing the labs. Students attending Undergrad lab classes do not need to complete this induction as they will be supervised at all times by someone who has completed the induction. This induction process does not apply to anyone working in Computer Labs.

1a. Staff - Complete 'Laboratory Safety Awareness Training’ (face to face training), and complete on-line Green Lab Environmental Compliance Training. Register through myUNSW.

  • Enter Learning and Development Tab
  • Enter Request Training Enrolment
  • Enter Search by Course Number
  • Enter HSE and click search (this will bring up all Health, Safety & Environment Courses)

Full instructions are available on the HS Unit website.

Please note that if you register for a date where there is already a waitlist, please also book a date where there are vacancies, as your booking will not automatically transfer if you do not get a waitlisted place.


1b. Students – Complete 'on-line Laboratory Safety Awareness’ Training and on-line Green Lab Environmental Compliance Training. To register please follow instructions on UNSW Health & Safety Site

2. Complete a local induction (RIPA Folder) initially with the Workplace Safety Officer, Emilio Saliba Please bring with you a printed copy of your Training Record to show completed LSA and Green Lab Training, or a tablet or phone on which you can display your training completion details. Anyone working in WRL laboratories can organise their local induction with WRL Reception.

3. A project specific Risk Management Form is to be completed with your Project Supervisor, and approved by them.

 4. Finally, arrange for meeting with the appropriate Laboratory Manager for a Local “walkthrough” Induction. 

Additional components that may be needed:

4. Approval to work after hours, by completing HS703 Work Alone or After Hours Approval Form, signed by the Supervisor and provided to the Laboratory Manager. Refer to the School Working Alone or After Hours Protocol.

5. Project approval for radiation work from the UNSW Radiation Safety Committee.

The RIPA folders are stored in:

  • Water Research Laboratories: The filing cabinet located in the Water Chemistry Laboratory (Rm 301).
  • Infrastructure: Filing cabinet located at
  • G10 (Entrance)
  • 210 (Geotechnical lab)
  • R9 (Outside G34)

Operation of laboratory equipment:

Use of equipment in the laboratory is only permitted after face-to-face instruction has been given by the equipment custodian/trainer and they have determined that you are competent. All equipment in the laboratory is accompanied by a Safe Working Procedure (SWP), usually posted nearby and stored on SafeSys, which must be followed. The equipment may only be used for activities described in the SWP. If you are unfamiliar with a piece of equipment or are unsure about any aspect of using the equipment, consult your Supervisor or the Laboratory Manager before proceeding any further. If you feel that the SWP could be improved or is incorrect in any way, inform the author or approver of the SWP.


Visitors to low risk areas (offices, CATS rooms, computer labs, public spaces)

  1. Visitors should preferably meet you at the school office but may be directed to the area.
  2. If working in this area, they must be inducted and trained in the same manner as applied to staff and students.
  3. If you leave a visitor alone make them aware of the emergency evacuation procedures.
  4. For visits longer than 1 day, obtain emergency contact information from the visitor and place this information on the HS630 Visitor Induction Form.

Visitors to research laboratories

  1. Visitors should preferably meet you at the school office. Otherwise meet them outside the facility and accompany them within.
  2. For visitors turning up at the school office, administrative staff should call the area to be visited and request someone to collect the visitor. Visitors should be accompanied to the area and not sent there.
  3. If working in this area, they must be inducted and trained in the same manner as applied to staff and students.
  4. If you remain with your visitor AT ALL TIMES, a detailed induction is not generally required, however, if visitors are to be left alone for a significant period then induct them using HS630 Visitor Induction Form.
  5. For visits longer than 1 day, obtain emergency contact information from the visitor and put this information on the form.


Contractors engaged by the school (not via UNSW Facilities Management) must be evaluated for competency by the school, following HS803 Contractor Evaluation Checklist. Contractors engaged by UNSW Facilities Management (FM) are evaluated by FM.

Contractors must disclose the nature of their work and any associated hazards – Prior notification is required from Facilities Management to allow the work area to be made safe. Where necessary, contractors must follow the requirements of the HS820 Permit to Work Procedure for hot work, confined space, working at heights, asbestos removal and HV substation entry.

Contractors requiring access to research laboratories must be made aware of the emergency procedures for the space. If they will be left alone in the space they must receive a documented induction into the space (use HS805 Contractor Induction Checklist).

Where necessary decontamination of work areas and equipment and removal of hazards must be completed before maintenance contractors can start work, use HS700 Laboratory Clearance Certificate.